Sunday, July 19, 2009

Barack Obama: The Failure to Lead

I was afraid of this. It's one of the (many, many) reasons I didn't vote for him. I was afraid that instead of getting a Commander in Chief...we would get a Senator in Chief. And we did.

I wish I could say it gave me pleasure to find myself vindicated in this, but it doesn't. It only gives me a growing sense of forboding, a fear of what will happen should we find ourselves in a situation that does not just require leadership, but outright demands it. I live in New York, I know that day will come. New York City is the Tel Aviv of the 21st century, we all know that day is coming. I now simply have to hope it will not happen on this man's watch.

His failure to lead by appointing cabinet members who actually paid their taxes (at a time when he is asking Americans who do not work for the government to pay higher and higher taxes). His failure to lead in moving quickly to stabilize the automative industry. His failure to lead on health care reform. His failure to close Guantanamo Bay (moving the inmates to North Dakota didn't seem to go over as well as he'd planned...as if that counted as "closing" to begin with). His failure to take decisive action on the potential revolution happening right now in Iran (still happening, change the channel from the endless Michael Jackson retrospectives and you just might catch a glimpse of it). I could go on, and on. His unstimulating stimulus. His failure to achieve military success, or even just to stop the bleeding--and yes, he inherited the problem, he inherited all these problems, but that doesn't excuse him not fixing them, does it? Wasn't that what he was elected to do? Didn't he win because he promised that only he, of all the candidates running, would be able to fix these problems?

But where it really occurred to me that we have a senator instead of a president was on the issue of gay rights. I'm gay, I pay more attention on these things. Especially since I never thought he'd be good on gay issues, and I kept hoping to be proven wrong. He never promised us he'd work towards marriage equality, but there were two big things he did promise. Repealing the ridiculous Defense of Marriage Act. Repealing the disastrous and dangerous "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy. Since taking office, he has...accomplished the exact opposite of these.

He not only failed to lead on repealing DOMA and DADT, but in fact has acted counter to this promises in defending DOMA as comparable to laws preventing polygamy and incest, and in asking the Supreme Court not to evaluate DADT. Hell, he's discharging gay soldiers at a faster rate than Bill Clinton and only slightly slower than George W.

My question is not why. It's clear why. Were he to follow through on his promises to the gay community (promises he used to extract not just votes but money), he would face an African-American backlash that could prove catastrophic to his presidency. He also, I'm certain, figures there are not enough heterosexual voters out there who will be angered enough by his betrayal of the gay community to withhold their vote. Sadly, he's probably not wrong.

I don't believe he's actually homophobic, though I do find it questionable that none of his advisors are gay. I mean, even George W. Bush was able to get a few open homo's on the payroll, as did every other president since Jimmy Carter. I believe he has made this decision...out of fear. Because yes, there's a possibility (a very slim one) that were he to do the right thing on these issues, it might endanger his reelection prospects. And he's decided not to take that risk.

My question is...isn't that sad? And worse than sad, isn't that embarrassing? That we have a president who is declining to do the right thing simply because he wants to remain in office? Is the office not bigger than the man? Don't we expect the man (or God willing someday, woman) we elect to be able to put the nation's well-being ahead of his own ambitions? Hell, haven't we impeached (or nearly impeached) several men for blatantly doing the opposite?

My sadness and embarrassment only increased when I sat down to consider it and came to see that perhaps the last president we had who did what he believed in his heart was right even though it might endanger his chances of winning reelection (or his designated successor's chances)...was Gerald Ford. He knew pardoning Nixon was the right thing to do for the country. And he knew it would almost certainly destroy any chance he had at being reelected. Perhaps had Ford ever wanted to be president in the first place, he might not have been big enough to make such a choice. No one since has managed it. In fact, other than Ford, I can only count Johnson and Truman in the second half of the 20th century who were able to put what was right ahead of what was politically convenient.

We have been waiting for moral leadership since Gerald Ford. I never imagined that I would type such a sentence, but facts are stubborn things.

I can only continue to hope and pray that true leadership and moral integrity--regardless of the electoral consequences--will not be required of President Obama. I also hope and pray he faces a challenger who has the integrity to do the right thing towards the gay community. And I suspect he just might indeed, because if you were a Republican presidential contender and wanted to really hurt him...going to his left on gay rights would be a hell of a way to do it.

Heck, even Dick Cheney knows that.

3 comments:

  1. You've got some facts wrong. Off the top of my head John Berry is gay, for instance. He's the appointed head of the US Office of Personelle Management. Also, that department's general counsellor Elaine Kaplan.

    Also, some of your metaphors aren't really explained. How is NY the Tel Aviv of the 21st century?

    "I can only continue to hope and pray that true leadership and moral integrity--regardless of the electoral consequences..." A logical fallacy. Asking for a politician to act outside of electoral consequences is like trying to write the sound of a car crash with letters. The alphabet simply does not contain a notation for the required sounds. Sure you wish this, everyone wishes this, but it's not realistic. There are certain actions that democratic republics are unable to take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry. Didn't proofread. Elaine Kaplan is a lesbian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he is the ultimate tabula rasa for people, and many of them have projected all sorts of unrealistic notions and gifts onto a man who is, in the end, a perfectly bright, but wildly inexperienced Chicago pol who loves campaigning, but hates governing.

    Your Friend Kate

    ReplyDelete