Monday, July 13, 2009

I Am Not A Gay American

There is a phrase that I have come to detest, and in realizing this, Ive had to ponder what exactly that means. The phrase came to us first, I believe, from former New Jersey Governor Jim McGreevey, who in resigning office announced to the world that he was more than just your average New Jersey politician but was in fact, also, a gay American. (I believe he resigned for having an affair with and later being blackmailed by a member of his security detail, not because he was a gay American, but thats the phrase that stands out five years later.)

While Im sure at a certain level this has always been the case, it seems to me that now, nearly a decade into the 21st century, we Americans are a tad bit obsessed with labels. We have as many words to identify ourselves as Eskimos have for snow. If I so desired, I could say I am a gay, Irish-, Franco-, Native American and it would be entirely truthful but I have to wonderwhy would I ever want to? Why does any of that matter? Should any of that matter? Against what am I handicapping when I say those things? Do those things outweigh a lesbian, Hispanic-, Scandinavian-, carb-free American? And if not, why bother?

This made me think of a remark Theodore Roosevelt once made, when addressing the Knights of Columbus in 1915:

"There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.

Now, when he said that, TR was a former president who was still considering another grab at the brass ring, and was looking down the barrel of World War I in a way most Americans were steadfastly refusing to do. He was talking about divided nationalities, but I think his words still resonate today. I mean, I was born here. My parents were born here. Their parents were born here. Were southern, it goes back that way for quite a while. Something close to 35 generations, in fact. So while I distantly I have heritage that is not American, what bearing could that possibly have?

I'm certain I have friends and colleagues whose non-American heritage is less distant, and thusly may influence their perspective on a daily basis, but short of saying out-loud "As a Chinese-American of Female Identification, I would just like to say that ice cream gives me indigestion so could you guys try not to get an ice cream cake for my office birthday party this year?", when would such a thing be necessary to say? If one wants to hyphenate their Americanism on a racial basis, isn't it usually a little unnecessary to do so? Unless one is addressing a cluster of blind folks like the ones who wander around Chelsea all the time and keep bumping into me outside my gym. Then I guess there might be cause. But any other time? I have doubts.

And while I can easily equate my sexual orientation with my ethnic heritage, I freely accept that there are those who will choose not to do so. But I have to wonder, when they are introducing themselves as gay Americans, are they not asking you to evaluate them strictly through that particular lens, which theyre handing to you? And if you like them more than other gay Americans youve known, well, bully for them, but if you like them less, will you not always wonder if its just because you only chose to evaluate them through that particular lens? Which they handed you?

TRs speech went on to call for sweeping immigration reform (the kind that would terrify Congress today if any politician suggested it let alone a former president), and gave a clarion call for Americans to stand together to stamp out racial and religious persecution in this country, which he only felt would be possible if we stopped thinking of ourselves as anything else before American. Were in this together, or were not. Right?

While my sexual orientation certainly influences some of my decisions, and has absolutely colored my experience as an American differently than it would have were I heterosexual, the gays dont have their own country. Or their own state. We have some neighborhoods, but they're not exclusive--I know for a fact most of those blind people are dyed in the wool breeders--but thats about it. And while I absolutely believe its important for gays to be out in the open about their orientation, especially ones who live in the public eye, I dont see any reason to place that before their national identity. Especially at a time when we are asking, begging, our country, our government, our neighbors to see us...as no different from themselves. Deserving of the same rights. Embodying the same qualities of compassion, concern, and patriotism.

Im an American, first and foremost. Nothing should ever come in front of that. Nothing. With or without a hyphen.

3 comments:

  1. I get where you're coming from. I'm out, I don't have a problem with it; in fact, I generally expect/suspect people to just know that about me. I mean, I'm rather fey. I feel if I have to tell you I'm gay, you might have missed the point! :-)
    But I also think that the very nature of American individualism almost necessitated the hyphenation (Hyphenization? I'm too lazy to look it up) of who were are. Like you said, we like to compartmentalize, and I think hyphenating our heritage was originally such a tool. Now, it's as much about separation as anything else.
    Yeah, I'm an American. I'd put that and being gay as the prime factors in my life, right alongside the fact that, more or less, I am an evangelical Christian (albeit a heathenistic, backslidden one who is agnostic now)...but these things do color my world and shape my personality.
    IF someone asked, I'd tell them I'm gay, maybe even a gay American. I'd be far quicker to tell them that than to say I'm a quarter Native American, or some random parts British, French and Irish.
    I guess it all boils down to how we wish to be perceived and whether or not that piece we attach to "American" is all that important to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus; also, I just posted a really long comment, didn't I? :-)
    I know we don't see eye-to-eye on a lot, but I love discussing all this stuff with you. It never feels heavy and frustrating like a debate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While there is a contradiction between your worry that this country is obsessed with labels and your insistence that we fix ourselves with a single label, I can respect that view as it pertains to your choice of identification. On the other hand, the intimation that those of us who refuse to fix ourselves with one label are somehow letting something stand in the way of our love of country or are somehow less patriotic is deeply disturbing.

    While queers, gays, homosexuals, whichever label you prefer, do not have a country, we do have an identity that remains, in large part, invisible. As such, words and their usage are of great importance in raising awareness and making our community visible. When someone uses the term "Gay-American" it is an effort to reaffirm both identities and conflate them, not about one before the other. Hyphenation is not about hierarchy, it is about conjoining two terms that are often seen as disparate. In this case, it is a means to reclaim the term American from a traditional connotation that excludes people like me (and there is a traditional connotation, let's not kid ourselves). Indeed, the fact that American is the main thing being qualified (an American-Gay is quite a different thing, isn't it?) belies the notion that it is somehow being put second.

    As someone whose family members have been accused of being undocumented Mexicans (by police officers as well as lay citizens) I cannot tell you how important it is to be able to say "I'm Puerto Rican-American" (while Puerto Ricans are American by birth, not everyone knows that). Indeed, I can imagine how much more important, perception shifting and reaffirming it would be to say "NO! I am a Mexican-AMERICAN."

    You say "we're in this together or we're not." Aside from sounding like an overly simplistic "love it or leave it" statement, I think it misses the point. The purpose of using terms like Mexican-American, African-American, Jamaican-American, Gay-American, Christian-American, etc. is exactly that, a reminder that we are in this together. It is a reminder to people who are different than you that you are on the same team. It is a way of saying, "yes, I'm Japanese, but don't intern me, because I'm a Japanese-American." It is a way of saying, "yes, I'm Mexican, but don't deport me, because I'm a Mexican-American." It is a way of saying, "yes, I'm gay, but I'm a Gay-American, a citizen just like you, invisible made visible, with the same wants and desires, the same love of country, the same promises of freedom and equality, and as your fellow citizen I ask for your recognition and protection as your brother." It is a means of taking who I am as "the other" and bringing it one step closer to being fully included in our national identity by pointing out that which we share, a nation determined to fulfil its potential.

    Isn't that comradery, that inclusiveness, that sharing of a dream the point of being American, with or without hyphen?

    ReplyDelete